, , , , , ,


Monday and Tuesday were painful. Not the whole day. Not even most of the day. But there were moments. But let me back up and give you some of the background.

I have fibromyalgia. It started about 7 years ago. It started with a head ache – a bad one – that just wouldn’t go away. Then my neck. And back. Then pretty much all over. All the time. There were times when it didn’t hurt as bad. Or it didn’t hurt in the same place. But I have pain every day. Medication and physical therapy help to control the pain, but it never makes it go away. The side effects of the medicines create their own little story. I take medicine so I don’t hurt so bad so I can function. But the side effects of the medicines make me not able to function. So I’m just out of luck. The best pain treatment I’ve found so far is work. When I’m working, whether it’s at the store or at home painting, sewing, or dyeing, it takes my mind off the pain while I’m focusing on something else. For some strange reason, housework doesn’t have that same result.

So I work. And I work hard. Some days I’m on my feet- walking, sometimes quickly, or standing at a register or whatever I’m doing that day-for 6 hours at a time with only a 15 minute break. I don’t mind. I enjoy the work. Just explaining that it’s hard on the body. It’s hard on people who have no health issues. I look forward to going to work each day and plan to keep doing so for a long time. But then I have those days. Like Monday and Tuesday.

Monday and Tuesday were good days at work. I was busy. I walked all through the store delivering catalog orders to the registers for the associates to deliver. I walked to various locations to work on the pricing projects I worked on between catalog calls. I zoned, bringing order back to the chaos that happens when people shop. I had good days.

But then it was time to go home. After all that time on my feet, getting into the car to come home was painful. Fighting back the tears painful. After the short ride home, getting out of the car was just as painful. All I could think was, “Dear Lord, please give me just one pain free day. Please. Just one day.”

And He did. I wore a different pair of shoes yesterday. Maybe that’s what did it. I don’t know. I’ve worn those shoes before and would hurt (but maybe not as bad as on Monday and Tuesday.) Yesterday, Wednesday, when I got in the car, I was a little stiff, and yes, I did hurt. But it was normal ordinary hurt. When I got home and got of the car, it was the same thing. Stiff, but I was happy and not fighting back tears.

And the words came to my mind and I’ve been singing them ever since, “What a Mighty God We Serve!”

 What a mighty God we serve
What a mighty God we serve
Angels bow before Him
Heaven and earth adore Him
What a mighty God we serve.

P.S. Today wasn’t so bad, either. Maybe this will become a trend!